Chu Nom Characters

Discuss the Chinese language.
Johann

Chu Nom Characters

Post by Johann »

Dear everyone,

Hi. I would like to ask if someone here knows some information about chu nom characters here.
I once saw on an essay that chu nom is based according to some principles and guidelines,so as to form a chu nom character.I hope you can help me on this topic.

Thank you.

Johann
Hanzi Wensheng

Re: Chu Nom Characters

Post by Hanzi Wensheng »

Many Chu Nom characters are actually the same as Chinese Hanzi. However, there are many that basically consists of two parts, one that indicates the pronounciation in Vietnamese and the other indicate the meaning.
Johann

Post by Johann »

If that is so,can we combine any chinese characters to form a chu nom character? I heard that sometimes,a character led to several different interpretations.Can we combine just anything?

Thanks.

Johann
Thomas Chan

Post by Thomas Chan »

Johann wrote:
> If that is so,can we combine any chinese characters to form a
> chu nom character? I heard that sometimes,a character led to
> several different interpretations.Can we combine just anything?

No, you can't make new chu nom characters any more than you can make
up new Chinese characters (a lot of Chinese characters are also
combinations of two other Chinese characters). People would have a lot of
difficulty understanding what you were writing.

The "several different interpretations" comes from chu nom never
developing to a point where it was standardized, and the multiple ways of
creating characters, which sometimes led to the same character being created
to write two different words.

Thomas Chan

[%sig%]
Hanzi Wensheng

Post by Hanzi Wensheng »

Chu Nom was never truly popularized because it was sort of looked down upon, even by Vietnamese themselves, which I personally believe is a shame. Before the French colonized Vietnam, most scholars and government officials still used Chinese Hanzi rather than Chu Nom for writing.
Johann

Post by Johann »

Dear everyone,

So,how are chu noms combined then?
I saw that there were 12 rules in combining them by phonetics.When were they completely abolished?
unnai

Post by unnai »

Many Chu Nom characters are actually the same as Chinese Hanzi. However, there are many that basically consists of two parts, one that indicates the pronounciation in Vietnamese and the other indicate the meaning.
sridhar

Post by sridhar »

Is an ancient writing system of the Vietnamese language. It makes use of Chinese characters coined following the Chinese model. The earliest example of chu Nom dates to the 13th century. It was used almost exclusively by the Vietnamese elites, mostly for recording Vietnamese literature formal writings were, in most cases, not done in Vietnamese, but in classical Chinese. It has now been completely replaced by quoc ngu, a script based on the Latin alphabet.
alexchau

Post by alexchau »

Excuse me guys,

have you ever been in Vietnam. I am Teochew Vietnamese or Chinese Vietnamese , mate. It is not abolished. it just the Vietnameseb don't use it because it is basically based on Han-Vietnamese language( Chinese characters but they modified in a very unnecessary way). That's why the Vietnamese referred to Han-Vietnamese rather than Chu Nom

they still practice in Vietnam and USA especially who study degree of art and literature
Firefig

Post by Firefig »

Chu nom was not a completely new system of writing. It consisted of orthodox Chinese characters supplemented by a set of new characters specifically created to write Vietnamese words.