Any Hakkas ever visit this site?

Discussions on the Hakka dialects.
Curious

Any Hakkas ever visit this site?

Post by Curious »

Hey are there any Hakkas out there?
Are you all Christians?
What do you think about the Taiping rebellion?
Sb

Re: Any Hakkas ever visit this site?

Post by Sb »

I am a Hakka decent. About Taiping rebellion, I guess it was a prove that Hakka people were people who care about their country (China) and they tried to overthrow Manchurian leadership that had been corrupted.
I believe some overseas Hakka have converted into Christianity. However most of them who are still in China, still keeps their traditional beliefs.
Curious

Post by Curious »

Sb,
But wasn't the guy Hung who founded the Taipings a nut who thought he was Jesus's little brother?
Curious
Sb

Post by Sb »

Curious;
Really? Where did you get that information?
Curious

Post by Curious »

Sb,
It's in all the history books. His name was Hong XiuQuan. He failed the civil service exam several times. Got some Christian pamplets from some missionaries. Became sick. Started hallucinating. Dreamt that God came to him and told him to fight demons. He thought he was the second son of God and Jesus' little brother.
Where are you at?
Curious
Sb

Post by Sb »

I believe a Western Christian missionary started an issue that Hong was crazy, because Hong did not agree with the teaching of Southern Baptist Church. It was really common among different sects of Christian to address other Christian sects crazy or false.
I believe Hong established some kind of a new sect of Christian that was mixed with traditional Chinese Culture, and it had brought some critics from Western Christian Missionaries.
Resta

Post by Resta »

: Hey are there any Hakkas out there?
: Are you all Christians?
: What do you think about the Taiping rebellion?
Resta Cheng --- reply to

Post by Resta Cheng --- reply to »

: : Hey are there any Hakkas out there?
: : Are you all Christians?
: : What do you think about the Taiping rebellion?
I'm not Hakka but American. But my mother-in-law is Hakka. Not all Hakkas are Christians. However, I am a Christian and if you need to talk about Christianity, I would be interested. What is the Taiping rebellion?
Curious, where do you live? I'm living in Taiwan.
If interested in talking to me, just email me at the above email address.
Resta Cheng
Christian Liu

Re: Resty Cheng

Post by Christian Liu »

hai I am 75%Hakka and 25% fukkien
i lived in Indonesia right now
my grandpa and my grandma was born in Meixian, China which is believe as the central of Hakka people
yes there are alot of Hakka converted to Christian or Catholic
but in China there're still believe in traditional culture
There's anyone know about christianity in Hakka people, for example in Hakka overseas, in Taiwan?

: I believe a Western Christian missionary started an issue that Hong was crazy, because Hong did not agree with the teaching of Southern Baptist Church. It was really common among different sects of Christian to address other Christian sects crazy or false.
: I believe Hong established some kind of a new sect of Christian that was mixed with traditional Chinese Culture, and it had brought some critics from Western Christian Missionaries.
sam

Post by sam »

My father's a Hakka, who was born in Kudat 1910, his grandfather's family had to flee china after the Taiping rebellion. There were 3 bros. one went to British guyana, another to hawaii, I'm direct descendant from the one that came to British Borneo. Our great, great grand father was killed by General Gordon, hired by the Manchus to put down the taiping rebellion. The Christian church, Bethel I believe, helped the 3 bros. to escape from the Manchus. Our Family name in China was Feng.
Then Hakkas are leaders in the field of war and politics, e.g. Lee Kuan Yew, Sun Yat Sun and Deng Siow Peng.
There's the Poongs in San Francisco and Edmonton now, we're all over !