Translation please? :)

Topics related to learning Cantonese.
Julia

Translation please? :)

Post by Julia »

Hello,

I am a student of Wing Chun style Kung Fu and it has changed my life profoundly, as a sort of homage to it I would like to get a tattoo on my body that reads, "knowledge and strength" or possibly just the characters
knowledge and strength. I would like to get the characters written vertically, and I have researched them but would like to be absolutely sure (obviously!) before I get this done. I have begun studying a little Cantonese from the Internet and it is a beautiful and difficult language to learn I have found.

Any help would be wonderful!
Thank you!

[%sig%]
Julia

Re: Translation please? :)

Post by Julia »

Okay... maybe I didn't really explain myself. I am mainly wondering if it will be gramatically correct just to tattoo the characters "knowledge" and "strength" vertically.

[%sig%]
Amego

Post by Amego »

Hihi....yea u r "grammatically" correct to write it vertically as that's the traditional way of writing...exactly opposite of that of English, which is vertcal n from right to left...

anyway, knowledge is "知識" ji1 sik1 (this is the traditional character n its nicer than e modern =P)

n strength is "力量" lik6 leung4

hope it helps... =p
cacagolf

Re: Translation please? :)

Post by cacagolf »

The beginning of anything is always some difficulty when you will overcome these difficulties is not so difficult, perseverance, thank you share, I wish you success!