Help with translation

Discussions on Mandarin Chinese. Do not post requests for translations or advertise couses in this forum.
Charles_Dake

Help with translation

Post by Charles_Dake »

I am looking for help with a translation from English to mandarin. My purpose for the translation is that I am purchasing an engraved set of chopsticks that I would like a Chinese inscription on. If possible I was planning on having either the same or separate sequence of characters on each chopstick while leaving room for an inscription in English on the chopstick further down. So the characters would be at the upper end with the English words lower down the chopstick. However, I realize that my translation may require a longer sequence of characters and, in that case, I would chose to have the English and Chinese on separate wands. So to the main point of translation, I was thinking that one possible engraving could be "truth before peace." Also I would like to see one say "dig deep within," and the second be "patterns of functional abstraction." I would definitely be curious to see an analogue of the latter in Chinese though I understand a concise translation in applicable brevity may not be available. I would like to see if there are translations of requisite length and if not I will decide on a different inscription. I will appreciate any help rendered in helping me design a meaningful inscription for my dining ware.

A little about me-
I am a university student in the USA studying math and computer science/engineering. I also work as a researcher in a field related to automated reasoning and more specifically automated theorem proving. I love functional programming languages (my current favorite being Ocaml) as well as the C programming language. My life in entirety practically consists of researching math and programming but I also have a passion for cooking. My favorite cuisine, be it restaurant or home cooked, is unilaterally Asian food. I fell in love while visiting in China and it has been a staple ever since. I also especially love curry especially when it is extra spicy (at least by my sense of spice). But anyways, it was my trip to China where I became accustomed to the use of chopsticks and have since felt that, for certain venues (basically the ones I eat from), chopsticks have a superior sensuality. I think that eating with chopsticks yields a more peaceful and delicate process of eating as opposed to it's Western analogue, the fork. But anyways, since I require a pair of reusable chopsticks, in addition to being of a disposition that derives sentiment from the presence of varying contrasts of syntax, it is my deep seated desire to use a utensil, for eating, to which I can bind some analogy to my own identity