Interesting Hakka link

Topics related to learning Hakka Chinese.
Ah-bin

Interesting Hakka link

Post by Ah-bin »

A few days I stumbled across an interesting site for Hakka on Facebook called Hakkaverse. Most of the people there are Indonesian Hakkas from Kalimantan but many of the posts are written in romanised Hakka, and . This kind of Hakka I have come across before, it is called "Hakboi" and is quite similar in phonology to Hoiliuk Hakka. The main difference is in the tones and the change in initial v- to initial b- "M" for negation also becomes "ng" in the manner of Hong Kong Cantonese.

Ngai ng hiau-tet kong Hak-boi = I can't speak Hakka (the boi is voi in Hoi-liuk, fa/va in Siyen/Moiyen

http://www.facebook.com/groups/hakkaverse/

There are many resources on the page, a Romanisation file and long threads about vocabulary and usage. One of the members makes his own Hakka translations of popular songs. Everyone seems to have a good grasp of the Romanisation system, so there is less guesswork involved in reading it than reading Hokkien

Maybe this is the variety of Hakka I will pick to learn better. Like Penang Hokkien it seems to have a big fan base, and it seems to have some currency in Sarawak as well.
pangkatnyin

Re: Interesting Hakka link

Post by pangkatnyin »

Thanks for sharing this Ah bin. I guess I know who this blonde is hhh...
amhoanna

Re: Interesting Hakka link

Post by amhoanna »

承蒙你!