Anybody wants to teach me?

Discussions on the Cantonese language.
Yvonne

Anybody wants to teach me?

Post by Yvonne »

I would like to learn some Cantonese and was wondering if anybody here can teach me? There aren't a lot of resources online to learn. I can speak Mandarin.
Kobo-Daishi

Re: Anybody wants to teach me?

Post by Kobo-Daishi »

Dear Yvonne,
Go to this web-page for some basic words:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... onese.html
Kobo-Daishi, PLLA.
Kobo-Daishi

Post by Kobo-Daishi »

Dear Yvonne,
What country are you in? Is there a sizeable Cantonese-speaking population there? Do you have any friends who speak Cantonese? Do you have access to Hong Kong TV or videotapes? Why do you want to learn to speak Cantonese?
How did you learn to speak Mandarin? Do you know how to read and write Chinese?
If you have a solid background in Mandarin then learning Cantonese should be fairly easy for you.
In the book “The Languages of China” by S. Robert Ramsey, the author states that speakers of dialects other than Mandarin learn Mandarin ‘not so much through formal study as through contact with others and by informally learning a few general rules relating the pronunciations of their own idiom to those of Mandarin.’ So, the reverse would be true in your case.
Now, is your computer enabled to view Chinese characters? And, do you know how to look up Chinese characters using radicals?
How much Cantonese do you already know?
Kobo-Daishi, PLLA.
Gary

Post by Gary »

: I would like to learn some Cantonese and was wondering if anybody here can teach me? There aren't a lot of resources online to learn. I can speak Mandarin.
It depends where you are. The YMCA in Hong Kong has some great Cantonese classes. You can use Keith Tong's book --- "Colleigal Cantonese" I have misspelled the fist part of title but is found even in the USA. The publishers is Routlgee Publishers. There are others but not found in the States. "Speak Cantonese" is another good source. Along with "everyday Cantonese" which is found in HK and USA.
goku

Post by goku »

: I would like to learn some Mandarin and was wondering if anybody here can teach me? There aren't a lot of resources online to learn. I can speak Cantonese.
ChinsonTan

Post by ChinsonTan »

Kobo-Daishi wrote:Dear Yvonne,
Go to this web-page for some basic words:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... onese.html
Kobo-Daishi, PLLA.
This website is not available.
What important most is how you see yourself.