two definitions thanks!

Discussions on the Cantonese language.
diana

two definitions thanks!

Post by diana »

hi

How are you all? i had a few translations from cantonese to english..1) "ya say hao" and 2) "jee sai" (I know this one is negative...someone who is easily angered? mad easily?) Let me know as soon as possible. Thanks so so much!
-Diana
catdog

Re: two definitions thanks!

Post by catdog »

1. It's a date 24th, isn't it?
2. i think it means careful.
diana

Post by diana »

i don't think "ya say hao" meant the 24th day of the month because the "hao" part sounded more like hou (like mouth)...it was like "ya sei hou" - with "sei" sounded like sei as in death... the term sounded negative - it was on some drama and the mother was scolding her daughter for being that--i guess the daughter didn't behave cuz she did something bad. tell me what this "ya sei hou" could mean, anyone. thanks.
Terence

Post by Terence »

not know how to say in English.

1. jaa6 sai3 haau3 ,

it is originally a book recording 24 stories of sons doing things good to parents, repaying for bringing them up, etc. gradually the book name applies to describe parents good to their sons or vice versa.

Hope you can understand.

2. not know
diana

Post by diana »

terence,
so if one was called jaa sai haau would that be a bad thing? or would it be a good thing?
diana

Post by diana »

terence,
so if one was called jaa sai haau would that be a bad thing? or would it be a good thing? so if you were jaa sai haau then it means you'd be filial, i'm guessing--and if you "mo jaa sai haau" and didn't have it, then it would mean you're disrespectful? correct me. thanks.
Terence

Post by Terence »

Yes, it means filial initially. But , at present, the usage of jaa sai haau varies according to different subjects you are pointing at .
If this phrase is used not for sons to parents , it sometimes carries a derogative meaning. e.g. if someone say you are jaa sai haau father, that indicate that you are too good to your sons, The speaker may be admiring you for your goodness to your son, but he also express a personal view that other fathers may not do in your way, you are a bit too good , or you may spoil your child.

If the phrase is used to say :you are a jaa sai haau boyfriend, that means you are taking too much care for your girlfriend. For you and your girlfriend , this description may sound respectful. but the speaker may not agree at the way you are doing.

Cantonese does not have an expression to say mo jaa sai haau , actually haau alone means falial, jaa sai is taken as an adverb describing the degree of falial. For not falial , Cantonese will say m4 haau3 seo6, 不孝順. and the use is confined to say sons or daughters 's bad attitude to their parents.

Hope that can help you.
Terence

Post by Terence »

correction seo6 is a typing error , it should be seon6
sheetha

Post by sheetha »

it was on some drama and the mother was scolding her daughter for being that--i guess the daughter didn't behave cuz she did something bad. tell me what this "ya sei hou" could mean, anyone.
alexchau

Post by alexchau »

Hey guy,

isn't "torcher" mean thank you in Cantonese

I am a chiu chow so I dunno