Book on the 惠州方言 Huizhou dialect

Discussions on the Hakka dialects.
Mark Yong

Book on the 惠州方言 Huizhou dialect

Post by Mark Yong »

Starting a new thread, based on one of the posts in the Minnan forum:
viewtopic.php?t=3300
ong wrote: Last year 惠州方言词典 was published but no one can find a copy of it.
What about 劉若雲's 惠州方言誌 by 廣東科技出版社 (1990/1991)? Is that book a good reference for the Huizhou dialect?

I have read some articles by 劉鎮發, and he makes references to a number of articles written by 劉若雲. I have read those articles, and found that the vocabulary and pronunciation is identical to my ancestral dialect.

There are some who propose that the 惠州方言 Huizhou dialect should be classified as a Cantonese sub-dialect (like 台山 Toi San), and not as a Hakka sub-dialect... comments?
ong

Post by ong »

I only have 粤语惠河系 which does't take it as hakka
Mark Yong

Post by Mark Yong »

Hi, Hong,

Please let me know if you happen to find a copy of either 劉若雲's 惠州方言誌 or 惠州方言辭典. I am interested. Thanks a lot.
ong

Post by ong »

The thing is from above bookthat is indeed huizhou hakka and huzhou dialect.
That is the pronlem we face because people don't know where is their origin in that area.
ong

Post by ong »

ong wrote:The thing is from above book that is indeed huizhou hakka and huzhou dialect.
That is the problem we face because people don't know where is their origin in that area.
Mark Yong

Post by Mark Yong »

For the 惠州方言辭典, would it be possible to order it directly from the publishers (one of the China-based forums states that apparently, it is 北京新華書局)?

It seem 劉若雲 is also the co-editor.
ong

Post by ong »

No,it is not possible.I even ask 惠州新华书店 and they said they never seen it.
I think to write a good dict on huizhou (not huizhou hakka)the author should be 刘叔新。Have you read his book?
Mark Yong

Post by Mark Yong »

ong wrote: No,it is not possible.I even ask 惠州新华书店 and they said they never seen it.
Incredible. The book has officially been published for almost a year now. There is even a newspaper critique on it, and so many forum writers enquiring on how to purchase it.
ong wrote: I think to write a good dict on huizhou (not huizhou hakka)the author should be 刘叔新。Have you read his book?
No, I have not. What is the title of the book and its publisher? Is it currently available in the market, e.g. the Kuala Lumpur 學林書局?
ong

Post by ong »

粤语惠河系探考 社科。It is a big book and you can ask xuelin to order for you.
Mark Yong

Post by Mark Yong »

http://seek.hzu.edu.cn/detail.htm?217108
http://www.nulog.cn/book.htm?264111

Seems you can download the 惠州方言誌 here. But being a peer-to-peer software, it could be riddled with viruses and spyware. :evil: