Origins of Cantonese Speaking Chinese?

Discussions on the Cantonese language.
wo ai ni

Origins of Cantonese Speaking Chinese?

Post by wo ai ni »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I stumbled across this thread while trying to seek some answers about my own origins.

viewtopic.php?t=604&sid=58ffe38f88a8ed8 ... 3e393a2b0a

I'm basically a Chinese American who's family is from Hong Kong. My parents are deaf, so I never was able to fully inherit the ability to speak fluent Cantonese.

Anyways, I was just wondering, can someone give me a brief introduction to the first Chinese tribes? For example, explain how the different dialects came about through the Han ethnicities etc.

Also, I am very intruiged if anyone knows anything about Southern Chinese people being genetically different from Northern Chinese.

Were all the people that colonized Hong Kong people fron Guangdong?
Ah-bin

Re: Origins of Cantonese Speaking Chinese?

Post by Ah-bin »

Basically don't pay any attention to what you read online. Have a look at the books "The Vermilion Bird T'ang images of the South" by Schafer, and "The Southern Expansion of the Chinese People" by Fitzgerald, and the first chapter of Charles Holcombe's "The Bronze Age of Southeast Asia" instead. they should give you some good answers about what you are interested in. The first book is better than any other book, even the ones written in Chinese.