romanization of wu in dict?

Discussions on Wu Chinese.
ruihua

romanization of wu in dict?

Post by ruihua »

Hi all!

A few questions:

Does anyone know which romanization is used for Wu in the CCDICT dictionary database accesible under chineselanguage.org?

I couldn't find any link to any wu-romanization info in the CCDICT-site.

The tone-numbers for wu, are they the same (standardized) for all wu-romanizations? Are they any different from shanghainese tones? If they are different, are they reasonably translatable from one to another?

(I'm sort of confused that CCDICT gives the Wu-word "long6" for "dragon". I thought Wu only had 5 tones)

Thanks for any replies! :)
Ruihua
tfc.chin

Re: romanization of wu in dict?

Post by tfc.chin »

ruihua wrote:
Does anyone know which romanization is used for Wu in the CCDICT dictionary database accesible under chineselanguage.org?

The tone-numbers for wu, are they the same (standardized) for all wu-romanizations? Are they any different from shanghainese tones? If they are different, are they reasonably translatable from one to another?

(I'm sort of confused that CCDICT gives the Wu-word "long6" for "dragon". I thought Wu only had 5 tones)

Thanks for any replies! :)
Ruihua
The pronunciation of Wu is given in the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).

The tone numbers used are the 8 classical tone registers (since Wu does not have all the tone categories, some numbers are skipped).

Upper - Level, Rising, Departing, Entering (1, 3, 5, 7)
Lower - Level, Rising, Departing, Entering (2, 4, 6, 8)

Regards,
ruihua

Post by ruihua »

Thanks for your reply tfc.chin!! :)

I should have recognized the IPA symbols...

Late friday night I actually pretty much figured out the tone numbering system! I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I think it was by comparing different tables, including the following table on tones of many wu-dialects:

http://www.glossika.com/en/dict/tones/wu.htm

(I do see, though, that several Wu-dialects in this table actually are recorded as having 8 different tones!)

Thanks for your help and your confirmation of my homegrown solution!
Regards,
Ruihua

p.s. I like your coool nr. 8 category! ;)