A person whose mother language is English is lucky

Discussions on the Cantonese language.
iris_ian

A person whose mother language is English is lucky

Post by iris_ian »

I am a Chinese. I am forced to learn English since I’m 3.But even today I just know a little English. I regret that I didn’t learn English well. Now what I am facing is a problem that I may not find a good university just because my English is poor. My elder sister have the same problem. She graduated from university which she learned chemistry. But now she still can’t find any relative job because she can’t pass the English interview.

Do you know you are lucky? You have no need to learn foreign language. Nobody will force you to learn……Now you want to learn Chinese just for interesting. “Why we have to learn English but the English don’t have to learn Chinese ?” I always think of this question when I was a child.

In China, English is the most important subject. Some student failed in English exam will stay down or be forced to leave school. They can only do the low-paid job in the future but the English here can do the well-paid job. This is unfair but we have to accept it.

Have you ever laugh at a Chinese just because his English pronunciation is strange or make a wrong sentence? Many of you will do that. Do you know that would makes us feel inferior and sad?

Learning a foreign language is not an easy job. Can you master Chinese? I know you can’t but I will not laugh at you. On the contrary, when I heard the foreigner saying simple Chinese such as “xie xie”,”ni hao”, I am very happy because they learn the culture of my country. jiang xin bi ji, please don’t laugh at us.
jilang

Post by jilang »

In China, English is the most important subject. Some student failed in English exam will stay down or be forced to leave school. They can only do the low-paid job in the future but the English here can do the well-paid job. This is unfair but we have to accept it.
That's interesing. in China is English a subject that everybody who goes to school has to do? I had no idea, I thought that was optional and didn't matter.
Have you ever laugh at a Chinese just because his English pronunciation is strange or make a wrong sentence? Many of you will do that. Do you know that would makes us feel inferior and sad?
Actually, usually when I hear a Chinese speaking bad English I don't laugh because i think they know Mandarin which is a hard to learn language and yet they can speak English so well!
Learning a foreign language is not an easy job. Can you master Chinese? I know you can’t but I will not laugh at you.
And, who is this message aimed at? A lot of people on this forum know Chinese and English very well.
lovechinese

Post by lovechinese »

Well, English is the international language.. It's kind of sad how that came to be(imperialism), but now it is established. At least English is considered relatively simple to most people in the world. If Mandarin was the international language everyone would be screwed because it is considered much more difficult than English.

Good luck though.. Hopefully you get a good job man.. Come to the US and work for a Chinese company as a translator, that's what my cousin does and she makes good money. Turn the tables!
jilang

Post by jilang »

If Mandarin was the international language everyone would be screwed because it is considered much more difficult than English.
Is there any website comparing language difficulties? I know Mandarin is harder than English but I want to compare it to other languages.