CEDICT in Hakka

Topics related to learning Hakka Chinese.
dylanwhsung

CEDICT in Hakka

Post by dylanwhsung »

I have created a site which takes the character entries in CEDICT (see Erik Peterson's mandarintools.com) and instead of the Mandarin readings, a set of Hakka readings for the characters are given. Work still needs to be done on this project, like resolving the muliple readings or pronunciations a character may have. However, I feel that as beta, it may still be useful for anyone who is interested.

http://uk.geocities.com/cedict_h/hced/h-index.html

Character entries are in traditional characters only. They are listed according to Unicode order, which derives primarily from the 214 Kangxi radicals, save for one. All head characters are listed with compounds with it as the leading character. Each compound phrase has two or more characters, and all are hyperlinked so that every character can hop to its own page when you click on it.

Please give me feedback here, thanks!

Dyl.
tfc.chin

Re: CEDICT in Hakka

Post by tfc.chin »

dylanwhsung wrote:I have created a site which takes the character entries in CEDICT (see Erik Peterson's mandarintools.com) and instead of the Mandarin readings, a set of Hakka readings for the characters are given. Work still needs to be done on this project, like resolving the muliple readings or pronunciations a character may have. However, I feel that as beta, it may still be useful for anyone who is interested.

Dyl.
The CEDICT in Hakka web pages look very neat.

What are your thoughts about the future of this data set?

Can we add entries?

Should entries that have better Hakka equivalents removed and replaced with the Hakka ones?

Regards,

Thomas
dylanwhsung

Post by dylanwhsung »

I have thought only to make it a Hakka reading version of CEDICT only, so when that next gets updated, the whole lot will be scanned for changes and additions. For Hakka words, a separate dictionary would probably be better, probably drawing from CEDICT, yet altering the vocabulary to suit, however, I've not given that much thought. I've only viewed it as a means of learning Chinese vocabulary, rather Hakka vocab per se.

Dyl.