Surname 'Lam' or 'Lan' (meaning 'blue')

Discussions on the Hakka dialects.
lan xian dapu hak

Surname 'Lam' or 'Lan' (meaning 'blue')

Post by lan xian dapu hak »

I am a dapu hakka residing in Malaysia. For your information, there is now a comprehensive set of genealogical records of hakkas with the surname 'lam' or 'lan' in mandarin (meaning 'blue') printed in China. My name and children's names are listed there. I am 158th ( or 28th if calculated from the time my ancestor arrived in Dapu, Kwangtung) generation 'lam". Anyone with the surname 'lam' or 'lan' (meaning 'blue', not 'forest')?
lan xian dapu hak

Teochiew 'Na' or Nai' is also Lam (Blue)

Post by lan xian dapu hak »

There are some Teochiew-speaking people who use the surname 'Na' or ' Nai'. It is the surname 'Lam' or 'Lan' (Mandarin)(blue). There are sometimes known as Teochiew Khek. Their ancestry is likely Hakka. The surname 'Lam' is over 160 generations. It is one of the earliest, if not the earliest, surname in China. The number of 'Lam' is rather limited both in numbers as well as in areas. In China, it is confined mainly to Fuliau, Dapu county in Kwangtung. But, I was surprised to learn that the mother of the official 1.3 billion child born in Beijing last year is a 'Lan' (blue). There are also many 'Lam' in Taiwan, among them a well-known TV hostess and a few Legislative Assemblywomen. In Malaysia, many cloth merchants in Batu Pahat are 'Lam'. Many pawn shops operators in Singapore are also 'Lam'. I would like to know if there is any 'Lam (blue) whose ancestors are from outside Dapu in Kwangtung. Cantonese 'Lam' is actually 'Lin' or 'Lim' (foresrt or woods).
malanil

Origins of the Lam clan

Post by malanil »

Hi, I happened to be another Lam which is the same as yours. It has been quite few people I have come across with this similar surname except of those Lam clans in Batu Pahat. Can you furnish me further with more info of the Lam origin and it's homeland in Dapu? I have just started going through my family tree and would like to learn more of my ancestors background.

:D
Lina
JinHung

Post by JinHung »

Hi all. I am an Indonesian Chinese and living in Australia. And I am an Hakka and speaking Hakka. Glad to be knowing more our root through this forum. Not many Lams I found. I am one of the Lams.
chezzlam

Re: Surname 'Lam' or 'Lan' (meaning 'blue')

Post by chezzlam »

Hi,
I'm a bit late to the game but I'm also a Lam ("blue") living in Australia.
My grandfather was from Dapu (China) and migrated to Singapore.
My uncle has made contact with his remaining family in China within the last 10 years, which was pretty amazing as my grandfather passed away more than 35 years ago!
I'm documenting the family tree and would like to hear from others who have gone down this path and maybe even find a few long-lost relatives.