How long does it take to learn this language?

Topics related to learning Cantonese.
cantoman

How long does it take to learn this language?

Post by cantoman »

As a total beginner. How long does it take to get to a reasonable level of fluency in this language? I've been stuying independently for 3 months now. Using Pimsleur and some other material. I am on lesson 17 using Pimsleur.

My rate of progress seems to be quite slow. Is Pimsleur sufficient or should one use other material concurrently.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cantoman
ai_jie_lun

quick

Post by ai_jie_lun »

its really quite simple....you can become fluent in a matter of 3 months if you just move to somewhere like hong kong for 3 months...u'll be forced to adapt and learn the language to survive...
Fluency

1000+ hours

Post by Fluency »

I remember reading that the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA estimates it takes at least 1320 hours of instruction to be moderately proficient in Chinese.
EMW Cultural Immersions' Chinese language camps; Where East meets West. www.emeetw.com
Sun Wukung

Post by Sun Wukung »

The primary issue is learning to speak the new language. If you can read most of the signs and can attach the new readings to the familiar characters. That's the way I learned official Mandarin. I started out by studying the kanji or the Japanese adaptations of the hanzi. I then reallized that on the mainland they used Simplifed characters as the "hanzi' of modern China. I then had to adapt a new set of sounds to some of the kanji characters. It's not too hard to do, learn Cantonese that is. :wink:
No space for sig right now. Get Hanyu sig soon enough, comrade.
benji145

Post by benji145 »

Well, there is a new learning method called Zhiying education. I heard it few days ago and had a try. It's interesting. Here is their online learning centre and it is totally free these days. Hope it help you!
http://usa.mytino.com/learn_chinese/#11
sheetha

Re: How long does it take to learn this language?

Post by sheetha »

I started out by studying the kanji or the Japanese adaptations of the hanzi. I then reallized that on the mainland they used Simplifed characters as the "hanzi' of modern China.
chinese89

Post by chinese89 »

is there any online resources available to learn this language?
akash01

Post by akash01 »

Hello
I know that English test.net is the one of the best language center.

You can go this site and sign up this site free and learn free English.
You also talk with their community.
ethanhill

Post by ethanhill »

I have been searching for a good online course so as to master my grip on the language. I have started learning cantonese fro few months now. I had to drop out of the course in between, now just looking for some online help to revamp myself up till the point i had already studied.

Cheap Sewing Machines
candie111

Post by candie111 »

it depend on learners .in fact it is not very difficult but 3 months is too short to acquire it
so don't hurry if you work hard you will learn it well
good luck
http://www.rosettastoneoutlet4u.com/rosetta-stone-swedish-c-16.html