learning Mandarin

Discussions on Mandarin Chinese. Do not post requests for translations or advertise couses in this forum.
Rui

learning Mandarin

Post by Rui »

Hello, i can speak Cantonese fluently and want to start learning Mandarin. I just wanted to know if learning Mandarin is really hard? Bye Bye.
Michalis

Re: learning Mandarin

Post by Michalis »

Hihi!

I'm learning Mandarin myself. My girlfriend always says that it's easier to learn Cantonese, if you already know Mandarin. But that's easy talking when yer Chinese yourself. *l*

~Michiel~
IronMonkey

Post by IronMonkey »

Hey,

I've been studying Mandarin and Cantonese for a little while now, and I think they're about equally as easy. I don't think you'll have a problem with Mandarin if you already speak Cantonese.

Iron Monkey ;)
Kobo-Daishi

Post by Kobo-Daishi »

Dear IronMonkey,

How are you studying them? In a classroom setting or on your own? If on your own, through cassette tapes, videos, computer cd-roms or what? Did you know a Chinese dialect before you started your studying?

Kobo-Daishi, PLLA.
Epiha

Post by Epiha »

Hello, I'm a primary school teacher, who has just had a new student from Mi Kaw, I'm not to sure how it's spell, my apologies.

She does not know much English and I thought It might be easier from me to pick up some basic phrases and sentences to help the situation.

I am hoping that someone might have some resources out there that could help me in this communication barrier.

I would really like to expand from here, to broaden my horizons as I did learn some basic greeting in college which helps a little.

Anything would be much appreciated.
me

Post by me »

is mandarian easy to speak?
David

Post by David »

Hi - I want to study Mandarin, both spoken and basic characters. I am not Chinese. I will need standard English transliteration (pinyin?) as a temporary "crutch" to help connect sound and character in my memory.
I know that audio tapes together with writing practice will be the best method. I have an ability to make sounds right, with practice. I retired recently, so now I have time for fun things like this. Ideally I would like to get everything - both written and audio - from the Internet, without paying too much. Later I will try it with real people. Does anybody have a special recommendation of an Internet source for what I want?
Maya

Post by Maya »

Hi~
i am chinese girl from Taiwan and i can speak Mandarin. i just came to canada. i can say a little english and read in english. i am studying english.
i graduated university in taiwan last year. and i have "yahoo" or "MSN"
Message online e-mail . we can talk in english or mandarin by webcam or
microphone if u would not mind . matbe we can teach each other first
language , i think that will be interesting.
take care
Maya
Prince

Post by Prince »

Hello,

My name is Prince, I speak english and spanish.I want to learn mandarin chinese because I just found ou that my grandfather is chinese and my grandmother is Puerto Rican. Want to leanr mandarin now.I have a few friends im school that speak it, but i'd like to learn mandarin through here too.I live in Rochester, New.I just moved here from the Bronx.

Take Care,
Prince
Prince

Post by Prince »

Hello,

My name is Prince, I speak english and spanish.I want to learn mandarin chinese because I just found ou that my grandfather is chinese and my grandmother is Puerto Rican. Want to leanr mandarin now.I have a few friends im school that speak it, but i'd like to learn mandarin through here too.I live in Rochester, New.I just moved here from the Bronx.I am looking for a female from the ages ov 15-18 to tutor me in mandarin and I will help her learn english or spanish if either of those two languages they desire to learn.

Take Care,
Prince