Shanghainese?

Discussions on Wu Chinese.
Scott

Shanghainese?

Post by Scott »

Hello,
Can anyone explain to me what Shanghainese is? I haven't seen anything about this, except on the internet.
:)
Lisa c

Re: Shanghainese?

Post by Lisa c »

It's the dialect of Chinese spoken in Shanghai.
lisa c

Post by lisa c »

It's the dialect of Chinese spoken in Shanghai.
The Mandarin that most people are familiar with is the dialect spoken in Beijing and is the standard taught in schools in China. Taiwan also speaks Mandarin but it is different from the Beijing standard probably due to the influence of the Fukian/Hokkien speaking population.
Chinese

More info:

Post by Chinese »

sometimes it refers to the people who resides in Shanghai
Jimmy Hsu

Post by Jimmy Hsu »

: Hello,
: Can anyone explain to me what Shanghainese is? I haven't seen anything about this, except on the internet.
: :)Go to the following site for an excellent introduction to Shanghainese:
http://www.earnshaw.com/shanghainese/shanghainese.cfm
Luke

Post by Luke »

Also, I think...this is just a guess...but every city has their like own little language, like just a few different words...like slang words..

for example australia has g'day and america might have yo...2 different words but the same meaning.
Dylan Sung

Post by Dylan Sung »

"Luke" wrote:Also, I think...this is just a guess...but every city has their like own little language, like just a few different words...like slang words..
In China, the geographical distances may be great between one area and another. In effect, each major city is kinda like an island, and the language spoken in that area develops over time and becomes distinctly different from that in their neighbouring cities before the advent of tv and radio. Now mass media and education has brought Mandarin in as the national Chinese spoken common language. The localised speech of each city can be called individual dialects if they are different from neighbouring city dialects.

Dyl.
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

Nong ho!

Well, I guess most people on the chineselanguages forum will already know this, but since Luke brought up his guess I feel 'obliged' to give an example:

Ru zoh nong sinni kualoh!

would be

Wo zhu ni xinnian kuaile

in Mandarin. Clearly not just an issue of a few slang words, it's a completely different (though related) language (Wu-language or Wu-dialect).

Regards,
Aurelio
Mark Yong

Post by Mark Yong »

This is a nice website on the Shanghai dialect that I found recently:

http://www.zanhe.com

It looks as though the website is only partially complete, with development ending around late-2005. Nonetheless, it has quite a nice repository of information on the dialect.
mavericker

Post by mavericker »

Jimmy Hsu wrote:: Hello,
: Can anyone explain to me what Shanghainese is? I haven't seen anything about this, except on the internet.
: :)Go to the following site for an excellent introduction to Shanghainese:
http://www.earnshaw.com/shanghainese/shanghainese.cfm
Thank you for that link. :D