Electronic Dictionaries and Traditional Chinese

Topics related to learning Mandarin Chinese.
lionus

Electronic Dictionaries and Traditional Chinese

Post by lionus »

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to know if anyone knows whether or not most electronic dictionaries support traditional chinese or not? I was going to buy the Canon Wordtank V80 but after some research it appears to support Simplified only. Then I was going for a BESTA S701 or BESTA S703 but I don't know what on earth they support. Documentation/people tend to not know at all.

So does anyone know?

Cheers
Abun

Re: Electronic Dictionaries and Traditional Chinese

Post by Abun »

most people I know use Pleco, a dictionary app available for pretty much all Android and iOS devices which combines a number of dictionaries. You can search for simplified or traditional, or Pinyin, or a mixture of the three if you want. The entries of monolingual dictionaries appear according to the source material however, so for example 汉语大辞典 is in simplified, the dictionary by the Taiwanese Ministry of Education in traditional.

The basic app is free and comes (as far as I know) with one or two basic dictionaries and a few user-compiled or otherwise open-source dictionaries can be downloaded for free (the MoE dictionary and a German-Chinese dictionary for example), but most have to be bought (there is an in-app download area), same as a few additional functions if you need them (OCR or stroke order diagrams for example). The prices differ according to the dictionary/add-in, dictionaries usually ranging from about 20 to 60US$. So unless you buy them all, it will probably be quite a bit cheaper than an electronic dictionary as a seperate device ;) And I doubt the average electronic dictionary will offer a comparable amount of content (though admittedly I haven't used one before).
jamberat

Re: Electronic Dictionaries and Traditional Chinese

Post by jamberat »

lionus wrote:Hi Guys,

I just wanted to know if anyone knows whether or not most electronic dictionaries support traditional chinese or not? I was going to buy the Canon Wordtank V80 but after some research it appears to support Simplified only. Then I was going for a BESTA S701 or BESTA S703 but I don't know what on earth they support. Documentation/people tend to not know at all.

So does anyone know?

Cheers
If you have an IPhone or Android phone, you can just download one of the various Chinese dictionaries like Pleco or Qingwen. Both support traditional Chinese characters.