Encoding the Database

Comments, bug reports, discussions on CCDICT.
sunwukong

5 digit unihan

Post by sunwukong »

I found the character by browsing the Private area of Ming (for ISO 10646). This is how frustrated I was.
Im using Win 2000 and Office 2000 and even though I managed to insert those two functions into an excel worksheet it does not seem to be working.
Im hesitant to upgrade to XP and Office 2003 even though I have them.

I was able to paste the character into this test worksheet from word and display the character.

If I use your writesurrogate routine and then paste the spreadsheet cells into this message, there it is I can see it in Firefox, but not in Excel. Why can firefox figure this out and excel fails?

2775E 𧝞 &H2775E
sunwukong

Unicode 5 Digit

Post by sunwukong »

Thomas thanks for your help. Maby Im in over my head. Do I need both of these functions to get this to work? As I mentioned in a previous post Im using Excel 2000 and Windows 2000. Your WriteSurrogae(nnnnn) routine seems to be working (for Firefox and IE) but not for MS Word and Excel. So my guess is Win 2K cant handle this or ???
tfc.chin

Re: Unicode 5 Digit

Post by tfc.chin »

sunwukong wrote:Thomas thanks for your help. Maby Im in over my head. Do I need both of these functions to get this to work? As I mentioned in a previous post Im using Excel 2000 and Windows 2000. Your WriteSurrogae(nnnnn) routine seems to be working (for Firefox and IE) but not for MS Word and Excel. So my guess is Win 2K cant handle this or ???
I am not sure whether Office 2000 can handle characters in supplementary planes. According the official specifications it cannot. Office XP and 2003 have no problems with handling supplementary planes.

P.S. WriteSurrogate calls the other function as a subroutine, so you need both functions.

Thomas
sunwukong

Unicode and plane 1 + characters

Post by sunwukong »

Oddly MS Office (2000), MS Word on WIN 2K can show some plane 1 and 2 characters but Excel can not. Under WIN XP the reverse seems to be true, Excell 2003 handles plane 2 characters but Word does not. Strange.

Ive finished indexing the CTC with the ShouWei HaoMa system and added in the trigraphs if anyone is interested.

Anyone know where I can find the trigraphs for the Mainland (STC) version in electronic format?