Chinese alphabet

Discussions on Mandarin Chinese. Do not post requests for translations or advertise couses in this forum.
Mary

Re: Chinese alphabet

Post by Mary »

You can find some names at this site, David is on there.

http://www.chineselanguage.org/Language ... names.html
kelly

Post by kelly »

im wondering how to write

fate is the weight of circumstance in chinese lettering? any one have any ideas?
amber valerien

Post by amber valerien »

hi i need help to learn how to speak chinese i am about to get married and move to china HELP
Dylan Sung

Post by Dylan Sung »

Given the news about the SARS in China, I would suggest postponing your trip to some date when it is known that the infection is past.

Cheers,
Dyl,
Shenhua

Post by Shenhua »

There are about 2,000 cases of SARS reported as of today. These 2,000 cases are from China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Cananda, and the U.S. Just off the top of my head, I believe the combined population should be about 2 billion? 2,000 out of 2,000,000,000 is one out of a million. I believe that's a very small chance of getting the virus. Also, in order to get SARS, a long period of physical contact is required. The media is just using this opportunity to insert fear into people about Asia, mainly China, and bash it to further give U.S. citizens a dark, evil vision of China.
maranda

re:Chinese alphabet

Post by maranda »

Ok, so I'm working on this painting for a dear friend of mine, the picture is a painting of the sun setting behind black hills, bamboo and a chinese symbol for either the word endurance, faith, or mercy. only i don't know what the chinese symbole for any of these words is. can you help? I'm actually trying to show my friend that I am capable of showing my true feelings for him. He doesnt think I can. So please help. You never know you could aid in changing my life. Thank you.
lii

Post by lii »

happy easter everyone

i would love to no a few chinese words i know some , i would just like to have a go at drawing some , because i find them very interesting.
thankyou, cat
Reverie

re:maranda's post

Post by Reverie »

:) I hope I'm not replying too late... I just browsed into this site's forum for the first time.
What you asked for: Endurance 忍 Faith 信 Mercy 慈
There are many ways to express these words, including mostly using more than two characters to form the words. Since you wanted only one character, I translated them the best I could, and picked what I thought the most suitable, and most commonly used in expressing abstract meanings in Chinese calligraphy art. I'm guessing the "true feelings" you have for your friend are actually lover's affection rather than friendship, so although I don't know why you didn't consider the character "Love" "爱", I would suggest, in this case, the next best in these three that you've chosen would be "信".
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

:) I hope I'm not replying too late... I just browsed into this site's forum for the first time.
There are many ways to express these words, including mostly using more than two characters to form the words. Since you wanted only one character, I translated them the best I could, and picked what I thought the most suitable, and most commonly used in expressing abstract meanings in Chinese calligraphy art. I'm guessing the "true feelings" you have for your friend are actually lover's affection rather than friendship, so although I don't know why you didn't consider the character "Love" "爱", I would suggest, in this case, the next best in these three that you've chosen would be "信".
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

There are many ways to express these words, including mostly using more than two characters to form the words. Since you wanted only one character, I translated them the best I could, and picked what I thought the most suitable, and most commonly used in expressing abstract meanings in Chinese calligraphy art. I'm guessing the "true feelings" you have for your friend are actually lover's affection rather than friendship, so although I don't know why you didn't consider the character "Love" ("爱"), I would suggest, in this case, the next best in these three that you've chosen would be "信".