Chu nom Characters

Discussions on Mandarin Chinese. Do not post requests for translations or advertise couses in this forum.
James Campbell

Re: Chu nom Characters

Post by James Campbell »

Richard,

Didn't you say you were in the Philippines?

Did you know that an airplane hop over to HK and neighboring towns would probably have been more worth it than printing out this site's dictionary on 10,000 pages? What are you going to do with all that paper, and how do you find anything? That's what the cross-linked web is for, and it has search capabilities 1000萬 times faster than you can use your hands! Besides, a trip to HK might have been cheaper, more rewarding, full of memories and pictures, real language use and practice, just so much more rewarding in so many ways. So you spend some time, ask around and buy a few dictionaries while you're there, maybe visit a library or two, it just doesn't compare to the costs of printing this online dictionary onto 10,000 pages. Is there really a print function anyway? Anyway, I can't think it to be very organized.

James
aquin

Post by aquin »

There are some other scripts such as Xixia that have very little literary value and more artistic value, but that amount of literary value is still something to consider. I'm currently studying these. I have access to a lot of specialized dictionaries. Just ask and I can probably find one, if not already have it.
thanhhaiphongviet

Post by thanhhaiphongviet »

hello,

My name is Thanh. I am fluent in chữ Nôm, reading and writing. Contact me if you have any questions. thanhhaiphongvn@yahoo.com.

Thanh
Garrinso

Post by Garrinso »

In chữ Nôm, the characters borrowed from Chinese are used to:represent Chinese loan words and to represent native Vietnamese words. The formal writing was not done in Vietnamese, but in classical Chinese. Nôm was replaced by quốc ngữ (alphabetical Vietnamese) beginning in the 1920s and is now almost entirely obsolete.