Why are you learning Cantonese?

Topics related to learning Cantonese.
EveSixtyfour

How Embarassing

Post by EveSixtyfour »

I live in Vancouver Canada, and I'm constantly reminded by my asian friends how bad my cantonese sounds when I'm talking to my relatives. It's totally embarassing since my parents think I should be fluent in the language even though I was born here. I think learning Cantonese and Mandarin are good building blocks for someone who wants to go into business here in Vancouver. Cantonese, however is much easier to learn than Mandarin in my opinion.

Re: Why are you learning Cantonese?

Post by Guest »

Pazu wrote:Sorry if you've been asked by the same question many times before, but just wonder, why are you guys learning Cantonese? I think it's more useful to learn Mandarin indeed. (I'm a native Cantonese speaker and very much appreciated if you like to learn Cantonese indeed.) And I've seen some Vietnamese here, is it very easy for Vietnamese to learn Cantonese? How about Cantonese learning Vietnamese? I want to learn it and may be I will spend half a year in My Tho.

[%sig%]
Cantonese learn Vietnamese only 3 months. They could speak like the native

Post by Guest »

:D hello im learning cantonese because my husband is from hong kong and I want to communicate with his family. ive been learning for 4 years and we now have two babys, which we want to raise in both langages and cultures
panther0890

Post by panther0890 »

I want to learn cantonese because my friends only know how to speak cantonese and i speak taishanese. also when i was vacationing in Hong Kong, i wasn't able to communicate with anyone except in english. i'm hoping to go back though after my cantonese improve.
SandraYee

Post by SandraYee »

Hi. First post, I share your sentiments. I speak taishanese (hoi san wa) and I really want to learn cantonese and mandarin so I can speak to the general populace. Although most of my friends speak taishanese as well, so their no dialect barrier. :D But, I've been taking 3 years of mandarin lessons now, I'm somewhat fluent, and I can speak basic cantonese even without lessons. I think it's just altogether extremely beneficial for anyone to learn cantonese, although my boss who just came back from Hong Kong told me that people that speak mandarin or english could still communicate with people there.
loli

Post by loli »

hi ,my friend ! I find a place for us to share chinese study materials for free !
videos ,chinese sayings , stories .... colorful and interesting !
join us !http://www.Chineseclass123.com
sophiamoniquesm

Post by sophiamoniquesm »

Learning other language is interesting! you get to interact with different kinds of people and also there are vast job opportunities if you speak different languages.
venesaw10

Post by venesaw10 »

Hello,

I am learning Cantonese, Because it is a beautiful Language and also because i want a challenge. I like to challenge myself and it might not be as useful where i reside because English is our first Language, but it is great to be able to communicate to others and vise versa.

Take care.
candie111

Post by candie111 »

i am a chinese not everyone in china can speak catonese i learn it just for fun i think this language is very interesting
http://www.rosettastoneoutlet4u.com/rosetta-stone-swedish-c-16.html
karolvanessa.vr

Post by karolvanessa.vr »

hi, Im rebeca, hispanic. Im travelling to hong kong in 2013.
Last edited by karolvanessa.vr on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.