逐个好!我是新來的人嘍

Discussions on the Hokkien (Minnan) language.
Abun

Re: 逐个好!我是新來的人嘍

Post by Abun »

Hi Chih,

thanks for your corrections, I'm always happy to learn^^
Chih wrote:愛 can also mean "to like/love; to enjoy doing something". 想欲 would mean "to want or would like to", which also implies that he has not started learning it yet. I think it is fine to use 愛 here.
Ah right, I hadn't thought of 想欲 implying that he hadn't started learning yet...
Chih wrote:Also be7-hiang2 with -ng at the end is commonly heard in Taiwan.
Cool, I hadn't heard ẽ-hiáng/bẽ-hiáng yet. Somehow reminds me of how young Koreans sometimes add a -ng sound to the end of sentences to make it sound more casual (or in the case of girls sometimes to sound cute). Do you feel there's a difference between ẽ-hiáng and ẽ-hiáu? Maybe a difference in the underlying tone like in Korean, a difference between speakers from certain regions or between different age groups...
Chih wrote:I would probably say 希望 (or 向望 ǹg-bāng) 會當 kap 逐家做伙來學閩南語, although this sentence is quite different from the original one.
Btw, do you feel there's a slight difference between 希望 and 向望 or do they feel completely interchangable to you?
Chih wrote:tsit4-ma2 sounds more natural in this sentence. However, I am not sure how Mandarin the word 現在 is. It has already been used (or adopted) for quite a long time. It also appears in the dictionary 台日大辭典, which was published in Japanese era when Mandarin had not really been introduced to Taiwan yet.
Hm, then could it have been adopted in literati circles who were familiar with the Mandarin court language from the mainland? Anyway, I have heard it in lyrics before, but never in casual speech, so I guessed that if it's used, it's pobably either Mandarin influence or rather literary speech. Am I roughly correct there?
Chih wrote:Good that you know the word 出業! I wonder where you learnt it. It has become quite old fashioned. Nowadays 畢業 and 畢業生 are more commonly used in Taiwan and you hardly hear people say 出業.
To be honest, I don't recall where I first heard 出業. The dicts I use most often all have it so I guess, I looked it up some time. I probably even did find 畢業 then but suspected Mandarin influence and settled for learning the non-Mandarin word first :lol:
amhoanna

Re: 逐个好!我是新來的人嘍

Post by amhoanna »

出業, 畢業 (w/ two pronunciations) and 卒業 are all used in TW. The first is probably a corruption of the third. All are common, but 卒業 is markedly less common.

The Vietnamese also use 卒業. Yet another example of older Chinese etyma being preserved in both Hokkien and Vietnamese.
However, I am not sure how Mandarin the word 現在 is. It has already been used (or adopted) for quite a long time.
My guess is that it's a fairly old Chinese word, although most likely literary.

I say it's old b/c it's pretty at-home in Vietnamese, as "hiện tại". Newer, post-Mongol Chinese words tend to sound weird to the Vietnamese ear and as a group tend not to have been adopted into VNese.
Amhoanna 兄, 汝 ê 文筆 看-來 感覺面熟ah面熟,毋知汝敢是 POJ 讀冊會 ê 阿天兄 leh?
正是、汝是底人、目睭有够利。