Fui Chew (Huizhou) Hakka

Discussions on the Hakka dialects.
lan xian dapu hak

Ka Fa

Post by lan xian dapu hak »

I am a dapu hakka. I find that there is generally very little difference in the various variants of hakka dialect. the terminology and idiomatic expressions are quite similar. This is due to the fact that many old classical words are still used by hakkas. Words like 'wu' for black as used for black crow. I can understand most variants. As compared to mandarin, there is a systematic difference as in:
vowel 'a' is substituted by 'o'
kan (mandarin) (see) is kon
han (cold) is hon
fan (rice) is fon or pon
hau (good) is hou

vowel 'o' is replaced by 'oo'
fon (wind) is foon
tong (pain) is toong
tfc.chin

Re: Ka Fa

Post by tfc.chin »

lan xian dapu hak wrote:I am a dapu hakka. I find that there is generally very little difference in the various variants of hakka dialect. the terminology and idiomatic expressions are quite similar.
My Hakka variant is from Shenzhen/Bao'an. I personally have a very hard time understanding Hakka from other areas, partly also because the tone system in my variant has changed at bit. Many YinQu tone contours have changed into YinShang tone contours.

Thomas
tfc.chin

Post by tfc.chin »

Mark Yong wrote:
As an aside, I have a theory that the Yue word for "he/she" should not be 佢 as popularly used in Hong Kong literature but rather should be 其 (which is used for the 3rd person in 文言. Clues from Hakka/Yue parallels seem to suggest this.
My believe is that it is derived from/interchangeable with 渠 with the same meaning. Nevertheless, 佢 has been used for a long time as a dialect character for 3rd person.

I also believe that 3rd person possessive 'gia[sup]1[/sup]' should be 其.

Thomas
lan xian dapu hak

Fun Gau

Post by lan xian dapu hak »

The words 'fun gau' are definitely Cantonese or yue dialect. Kak Kah Fa (Hakka) for sleep is 'soi mook' (to rest your eyes) in all variants. I speak fluent Hakka, Minnam (Hokkien), Cantonese (Yue), Teochiew, Mandarin and, of course, English and Malay/Indonesian. I can understand all variants of Hakka.
ong

Post by ong »

Even the experts from China didn't claim they can understand all hakka dialect.If you say you speak dapu,you still have to explain which sect you know.see dapu xian zhi.See what I have posted
http://chinese.cari.com.my/myforum/view ... a=page%3D2
http://140.115.170.1/hakkaculture/big5/ ... cebook.pdf
ong

Post by ong »

You can also buy the second hakka conference published by Jinan university 1998 for an article on 5 sects of dapu hakka
ong

Post by ong »

we can photocopy or read in library about huizhou hakka for 3810 字、1401 词 in 珠江三角州字音对照,词汇对照 1987,88。
winniebree

Re: Fui Chew (Huizhou) Hakka

Post by winniebree »

I am a Longchuan Hakka. But my family moved to Huizhou City right before I started school. Basically I can speak Longchuan Hakka and Huizhou Dialect. I have to say these two regional languages are different. I have chatted with people who spoke Huizhou Hakka in my region. Honestly, I can't tell the differences between Longchuan Hakka and Huizhou Hakka.
If you want to win a game, you have to play it.