Is Cantonese a harsh language?

Discussions on the Cantonese language.
Mike

Re: Is Cantonese a harsh language?

Post by Mike »

I don´t think that Cantonese is harsh.
Although someone who doesn´t know it, could think
that Cantonese people are arguing all the time.
This could be because Cantonese are speaking preety loud ( compared to Thai people).
In my ears Cantonese sounds very "cool" and I like it a lot.
Actually I cannot stand Mandarin, with its
"sh" sounds.
I have many friends who see a lot of HK movies
on DVD. Although nobody speaks any Chinese,
everybody tells me, that they choose the Cantonese audio channel, never the Mandarin one.
Actually , Cantonese has a lot of vowels, especially on the endings ( la or ma or a ), which makes it very smooth and especially older
( male ) HK people are stretching the words extremly, I don´t know why.

: Do people have any opinions on this subject?
: I think Cantonese is one of the harshest languages around, unlike, say, Mandarin or other East Asian languages. Cantonese is simply very cacophonous and displeasing to the ear.
: As someone who speaks both Cantonese & English fluently (but not Mandarin), I find these two languages are not entirely compatible. I've heard of many anecdoctal reports of how people from HK who speak Cantonese who cannot adjust to NOrth American culture because of this linguistic barrier, as opposed to someone who speaks Mandarin who nonethless could acculturate relatively easier in spite of a greater cultural gulf between mainland China and NOrth America.
: Thoughts? Is linguistics/language playing a role here?
: Ben
Julian

Post by Julian »

I'm often struck by the range of 'styles' Cantonese can take on. Sometimes it can sound a bit disjointed as when some newsreaders are obviously reading and it tends to break the flow...There's a street haggling style that can admittedly sound raucous... and other times it's just smooth & dead sexy!
I've heard some conversations on the radio where one party is speaking very fast, yet flowingly while the other is contrastingly slow but somehow stacatto.
Overall I couldn't call it harsh - it's a beautiful language.

: Do people have any opinions on this subject?
: I think Cantonese is one of the harshest languages around, unlike, say, Mandarin or other East Asian languages. Cantonese is simply very cacophonous and displeasing to the ear.
: As someone who speaks both Cantonese & English fluently (but not Mandarin), I find these two languages are not entirely compatible. I've heard of many anecdoctal reports of how people from HK who speak Cantonese who cannot adjust to NOrth American culture because of this linguistic barrier, as opposed to someone who speaks Mandarin who nonethless could acculturate relatively easier in spite of a greater cultural gulf between mainland China and NOrth America.
: Thoughts? Is linguistics/language playing a role here?
: Ben
Cain

Post by Cain »

Cantonese is a totally foriegn and wierd sounding language to the English speaking only ear. If you speak Cantonese, you can say that it may not be harsh, because you have an intimate understanding of the language.
It's not exactly German, but a sexy language it is not! In my opinion, Cantonese goes against every English grammer rule I know. I have been studying it for three years, and the only way I can grasp at anything is to suspend all knowledge of English class, from middle school and beyond.
Cantonese is an attitude. You can memorize a phrase or a sentance, but it means soo much more if you actually know what you are saying.
Sum Won

Re: Is Cantonese a harsh language?粵語粗魯嗎?

Post by Sum Won »

I formerly go under "Anonymous", but have now taken up the alias "Sum Won". I'm also the person who doesn't think Cantonese were originally Chinese. (Yeah, it sounds like "Someone", which would be synonymous with a person who wants to stay anonymous)
Anyways, after I wrote my follow-up on this topic, I came to realize that Cantonese isn't a harsh language, rather than it is the people being very rowdy. People always say it sounds harsh, and that we sound loud. But it's not necessarily so. I think, that we Cantonese are just naturally rowdy. Like, we have a tad bit of alcohol in us, that's probably why Cantonese in America with horrible diets easily get diabetes compared to other nationalities.
*If you'd like to reply to me through e-mail, you'd probably have to send it twice, because my mail server's pretty screwed up.*
HKcantonese

Post by HKcantonese »

Re: Is Cantonese a harsh language? ??????

li lo mo cu he
iserlohn

Post by iserlohn »

Cantonese itself is not a harsh language. It is very similar to MC (Middle Chinese), and most of the poetry that is written in the Tong/Tang Dynasty sounds wonderful in Cantonese and sound terrible in Mandarin.

It all depends on how the language is spoken. Even in English the different dialects gives a different feeling. The southern accent (of the US) is rough and sweet at the same time, while in Cali the words just flows and RP is commanding and businesslike.

How well Cantonese sounds depend on how the tones match when the words are used. That's why there are very strict rules in most forms of poetry. These tones are also why the language is very hard to learn, and also very hard to rap in :) !! Canto-rap sucks.

The color of cantonese is not in how it sounds, but in how it is used. Because each sound has many (6) different tones, there are a variety of colloquial phases and word puns making use of this which makes the language fun and interesting. Also alot of the vocabulary that is used in ancient times still being used today in Cantonese is lost in standard Mandarin.

Unfortunately most of the people I know who don't like Cantonese (the language and the people) are Chinese (from the mainland). China is made up of a fusion of a number of cultures (from different peoples and *times*) and more should be done to promote our heritage, rather than blindly following the beat of "national unity" which functions as a mind control device and has no other purpose.
Norty

Post by Norty »

of course its not a harsh language. I think german and russian are more like it..

Cantonese is a kewl language. There are heaps of ppl learning Cantonese in Malaysia. Because They think it sounds nice and funny.
Chaseme

Post by Chaseme »

As someone who has learned Japanese, Mandarin and now (dabbling in) cantonese, I find that I just have to agree that Cantonese is a bit harsh. My friend thought Chinese sounded "nasty" when he watched a bit of a Chinese program, but that's because the speakers were using Cantonese. Cantonese is also a very confusing language, with different spoken and written usages, it is really quite baffling, which is probably just fuel for the fire.

However I don't want to say that Cantonese can't grow on you. At first I found Japanese to be quite gutteral and sounded like a series of grunts and moans, but that comes more out of the highly stylized nature of japanese acting (especially by males). When Japanese people speak in a strait conversational way, it sounds quite lovely, like a wonderful poem. I also thought Mandarin was a rough language that sounded like chickens clucking, until I watched some Mandarin films (spearheaded by "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.") which changed by opinion about Mandarin. Now I think it sounds like a song. Conversely to Japanese, when Chinese people spoke to each other in a conversational way, they tended to speak too quickly, and with a lot of force, whereas when the speakers talk more softly, and flowingly, the true beauty of the language is revealed.

Regarding both of these languages, it's up to how it is spoken. Neither Japanese, nor Mandarin Chinese produce sounds that are inheirantly unpleasant. Even Mandarin with it's "ch", "zh" and "sh" said with the tongue rolled up, don't sound bad when spoken, only different from what we're used to hearing in English. Though, if the tones are exaggerated too much in combination with speaking too quickly, it does sound a bit abrasive.

So my conclusion is, were not speaking German or Russian here, no one sounds like they're hacking up a damn hairball, they sounds made in the language are quite lovely and poetic, so (not to play the devils advocate here), but I'm sure as with Japanese and Mandarin, Cantonese will surely grow on me given time.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Just because Cantonese have so many tones and colloquial elements,It's very difficult for non-Cantonese to learn it.I think it's not good for the communication.I like Cantonese because of my boyfriend,who is a HK guy.I learn Cantonese for him and he learn Putonghua for me.Usually I am confident on my ability to learn language,I can learn English,Japanese very quickly,but unfortunately,the Cantonese seems so hard for me.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Most of those who said "Cantonese is caccophonous" have been misinterpreted, I think. Generally, they mean that Cantonese doesn't have the same phonetic rules that most languages have that tend to regulate the flow of words so that it won't sound unnatural to say one word after another. "ng oi nei" does sound a bit strange, as does "si hau mot yun yi yi" (mainly in the yi yi, but the transition between mot and yun doesn't sound exactly nice either, nor does that between yun and yi)

More examples:

dong si go jung yi sat yin
ending a word in NG and then starting the next word with Y doesn't sound very good. ending a word with T and starting the next with Y doesn't sound very good either.

ng chin nin dik fung wo yu a chong lyu do syu mung
Well, this sounds almost pleasant! NG LY doesn't sound very good. Y doesn't sound that great if a voiced consonant comes before it (in any language), NG doesn't sound very good if a nasal (M, N, NG) or a liquid (R, L, the "D" sound that's somewhere in between) comes after it)