i need a vocabulary list in cantonese or mandarian

Discussions on Mandarin Chinese. Do not post requests for translations or advertise couses in this forum.
juliew9855

Re: i need a vocabulary list in cantonese or mandarian

Post by juliew9855 »

Kobo-Daishi wrote:Dear David,
You should first decide on which language you wish to learn.
Mandarin is more popular, since, it is the official language of both China & Taiwan. Also, there are more resources for learning Mandarin
There are almost no resources for learning Cantonese on the net.
You should visit the web-site: ZHONGWEN.COM for their dictionary of characters.
Also, if your computer can read Chinese encoding, you could go to:
http://www.mandarintools.com/cedict.html
and down-load the free CEDICT Chinese dictionary. It is a text file of Chinese words with characters, pin yin romanisation and definitions.
Kobo-Daishi, PLLA.

Such a very amazing link!
Thanks you for the post.
chaming

Post by chaming »

Here is another Mandarin good vocab list
http://www.instantspeakchinese.com/dict ... kLists.cfm
gratchen

Post by gratchen »

Those familiar with both Mandarin and Cantonese will generally agree that it is more difficult for a native Mandarin speaker to learn Cantonese than it is for a native Cantonese speaker to learn Mandarin. Part of the reason for this observation is that there are many Cantonese who speak Putonghua but very few native Mandarin speakers who learn to speak Cantonese. The same is also true of non-Chinese who speak Cantonese as a second language learning Mandarin as opposed to non-Chinese who have learned Mandarin going on to learn gwongdungwah. However, is this phenomenon due to Mandarin's role as China's official language or are there reasons of learning difficulty that are influencing the ratio? Linguistic analysis seems to support the latter.