Pronouncing pinyin

Discussions on Mandarin Chinese. Do not post requests for translations or advertise couses in this forum.
charlie

You can use this tool

Post by charlie »

MemChinese is a good tool to learn chinese pinyin,strokes,phrases and pronunciation.You can download it from http://www.memchinese.com.Try it !
Dr_aggie

Re: Pronouncing pinyin

Post by Dr_aggie »

James is perfectly right.

However, Some Beijing natives, especially girls occasionally pronounce 'x' as 's' (platal->dental). It is not considered standard though.

It is OK to confuse sh-s, zh-z, ch-s in China. All most everybody can understand mandarin with some southern accent. But in case that many westerners cannot really differentiate x-sh, q-ch and j-zh. I suggest them not make more confusion.

The 'r' is not the same as that of American English. In mandarin, it is not round, but further back.
However, the 'er' (and ar, ir, ur...in oral language) is quite similar to that of American English. In fact, what I know is only Americans (except for northeasterners) and northern Chinese pronouce that sort of sounds.
aaran

Post by aaran »

I believe the majority of the ethnic-Chinese in Italy are from ZheJiang Province (which is some-what attached to ShangHai but linguistically different just like any other Southern Chinese Province. If you hear them speak Mandarin, there is a good chance that Mandarin is not their native language.
SilverbeamZ

Post by SilverbeamZ »

Aaran you are right. This has been my experience as well. I live in a heavily populated part of Italy.
Vasa

Post by Vasa »

"x" is pronounced like "sh" in English.
"j" is just pronounced like "j"
"q" is pronounced like "ch" in English