Can you give more information about Tri Chiew?

Discussions on the Cantonese language.
Jean-Cyrille

Can you give more information about Tri Chiew?

Post by Jean-Cyrille »

Hi there,

I'm French and Vietnamese. My grandfather told me we have Chinese background. He could not tell me more about it except that my forebears are from the ethnic group: Tri Chiew (i write it phonetically), somewhere in South China.

Could you give me more information about it and tell me if they speak a dialect related to Cantonese or not?

Thanks for your help
;)
duns heow

Re: Can you give more information about Tri Chiew?

Post by duns heow »

You may spelled it wrong actually. Your grandfather might refer to Teochew which doesnt sound identical but still close.
Jean-Cyrille

Post by Jean-Cyrille »

Thanks
;)
Chongtak

Post by Chongtak »

Bonjour Jean-Cyrille

Tri Chiew comme tu l'ecris en phonetique, ca s'ecrit triêu châu (accent vers le bas pour le ê de triêu) en vietnamien. C'est un peuple originaire du nord du Guangdong pres du Fujian au sud de la Chine.
Presque tous les Trieu chau du Vietnam on emigres vers le Cambodge, il n'en reste quasiment plus voir plus du tout au Vietnam. En general les Chinois du Vietnam sont Cantonais ou Hakka.
Donc si tu rencontre un Cambodgien a la peau blanche et les yeux brides plus brides que le standard des Khmers, il y a de tres fortes chances pour qu'il soit Trieu chau aussi.
AlexNg

Post by AlexNg »

jean-cryill,

You should be french and chinese not vietnamese then. As you know a lot of ethnic chinese migrated from vietnam during and after the vietnam wars. Vietnam has their own ethnic group.

The teo chew was originally from the fujian province in china a long time ago and then they migrated to the guangdong province. From guangdong province, your ancestors migrated to vietnam, And from vietnam, they migrate to france, I presume that is where you are now.

That is why the teo chew dialect is more similar to MinNan or hokkien and not cantonese.

My french is limited but I can basically understand some of what chongtak said.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Bonjour Jean,

AlexNg wrote:
>The teo chew was originally from the fujian province in china

Teo Chew (Chao2 Zhou1) or Triêu Châu was part of Jujian before but long long time ago, the governor mistakenly marked the wrong boundary and put Teo Chew into the province of Canton ! So you know now !

ChongTak wrote:
>C'est un peuple originaire du nord du Guangdong

C'est un peuple originaire du EST du Guangdong

ChongTak wrote:
>En general les Chinois du Vietnam sont Cantonais ou Hakka.

Cantonais: 56%
Tew Chew Hakka Fujianien et Hainanais: 34%
Jean-Cyrille

Post by Jean-Cyrille »

Hi

I want to thank you all for your help.

Pour Chongtak, je te remercie particulièrement pour tes precisions.

To Alexng: I am Vietnamese (74%), French (25%) and Chinese (1%) so I think I am not wrong when I consider myself as a Vietnamese French person.

;)
Mark Andrew Williamson

Post by Mark Andrew Williamson »

I have heard of them before, namely when my friend said in Cantonese, "wau, hi tri chiew paai lei baat lei. yiu chut bei kaap wit hiim at sun at pot zap ho. it wat aai hut du in yu wa sit ji ye chong"
qrasy

What's going on

Post by qrasy »

What it this about?
What is 74% Viet+1% Chinese +25%French?

Aren't you 75% ChaoZhou and 25%French? (You say: Chinese background)

If you say that you are 1% Chinese, what is going on?
VietYue

Dear ZhaoChou

Post by VietYue »

If you are Vietnamese and French with South Chinese background, you probably share the same kind of DNA with Vietnamese people. Zhao Tuo after invaded Nan Yue (Nam Viet) he crossed gene with another Vietnamese princess. Don't worry about your Chinese background. Those Chinese won't treat you good or did not treat you good. That was why your ancestors wanted to run away from that lovely ancestry place. Chinese is just a nationality. When you move out of China, you are no longer Chinese. The Southern Chinese most has common ancestry and ethnicity, the Yue, for a long time ago. If you live in China, you are a Chinese for sure. If you move to the United States, you are an American for sure. Don't worry about the culture since some of the Chinese cultures originated in the North, except for Lunar New Year, Mid-fall festival, and boat festivals. There are more but my memory and knowledge are limited.
http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_1998/yax-125.htm
http://www.hoklo.org/YuetCulture/Articles?item=1

pay attention to the second link, Chinese has two origins, the North and the South. The reason for South Chinese to support their ethinicity as Han was in the past, they were taught that San Shui Huang united all the tribes and later went to South as the Yue. It's up to believe that you are from the North but the anthropologists would do their jobs to say, "Chinese has two origins." That's a hard fact. Believe it or not is up to you.