Dictionaries

Discussions on the Cantonese language.
Sekabin

Dictionaries

Post by Sekabin »

I'm looking for a dictionary of english-cantonese, with pronunciation (preferably the Yale system). Does anyone know if one exists?
jeremy roadruck

Re: Dictionaries

Post by jeremy roadruck »

I've found a Chinese English Dictionary with Cantonese in Yale Romanization and Mandarin in Pinyin. It is published by New Asia -- Yale-in-China Chinese Language Center, the Chinese University of Hong Kong. It has over 6000 characters and is available from amazon.com. Run a search for the editors: Chik Hon Man and Ng Lam Sim Yuk. You'll get results with Chik Hon Man. It cost about $45US and I've found it to be wonderful.
debbie

Post by debbie »

: I've found a Chinese English Dictionary with Cantonese in Yale Romanization and Mandarin in Pinyin. It is published by New Asia -- Yale-in-China Chinese Language Center, the Chinese University of Hong Kong. It has over 6000 characters and is available from amazon.com. Run a search for the editors: Chik Hon Man and Ng Lam Sim Yuk. You'll get results with Chik Hon Man. It cost about $45US and I've found it to be wonderful.
ollie

Post by ollie »

: I'm looking for a dictionary of english-cantonese, with pronunciation (preferably the Yale system). Does anyone know if one exists?
PuiWaiHin

Post by PuiWaiHin »

The dictionary mentioned with over 6000 characters is a GREAT dictionary, but it does not have English to Chinese in it. There are a few English to Cantonese dictionaries, but they are definitely inadequate. I will suggest one, but I've found some of it's translations a little off base, and it isn't very thorough. But it is a place to start. It's called the English-Chinese Dictionary published by the New Asia Yale-In-China Chinese Language center (the publishers of the character dictionary mentioned above). I believe I have a link to it in my bookstore from my website. This one has a pink cover and can also be purchased through Amazon.com. Go to my bookstore in my website and luck under Cantonese Dictionaries. It should be there.
markhale

Post by markhale »

: I've found a Chinese English Dictionary with Cantonese in Yale Romanization and Mandarin in Pinyin. It is published by New Asia -- Yale-in-China Chinese Language Center, the Chinese University of Hong Kong. It has over 6000 characters and is available from amazon.com. Run a search for the editors: Chik Hon Man and Ng Lam Sim Yuk. You'll get results with Chik Hon Man. It cost about $45US and I've found it to be wonderful.