Shanghainese?

Discussions on Wu Chinese.
Scott

Shanghainese?

Postby Scott » Thu Nov 01, 2001 7:42 pm

Hello,
Can anyone explain to me what Shanghainese is? I haven't seen anything about this, except on the internet.
:)

Lisa c

Re: Shanghainese?

Postby Lisa c » Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:54 pm

It's the dialect of Chinese spoken in Shanghai.

lisa c

Postby lisa c » Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:58 pm

It's the dialect of Chinese spoken in Shanghai.
The Mandarin that most people are familiar with is the dialect spoken in Beijing and is the standard taught in schools in China. Taiwan also speaks Mandarin but it is different from the Beijing standard probably due to the influence of the Fukian/Hokkien speaking population.

Chinese

More info:

Postby Chinese » Tue Nov 20, 2001 4:49 am

sometimes it refers to the people who resides in Shanghai

Jimmy Hsu

Postby Jimmy Hsu » Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:46 am

: Hello,
: Can anyone explain to me what Shanghainese is? I haven't seen anything about this, except on the internet.
: :)Go to the following site for an excellent introduction to Shanghainese:
http://www.earnshaw.com/shanghainese/shanghainese.cfm

Luke

Postby Luke » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:18 am

Also, I think...this is just a guess...but every city has their like own little language, like just a few different words...like slang words..

for example australia has g'day and america might have yo...2 different words but the same meaning.

Dylan Sung

Postby Dylan Sung » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:04 am

\"Luke\" wrote:Also, I think...this is just a guess...but every city has their like own little language, like just a few different words...like slang words..

In China, the geographical distances may be great between one area and another. In effect, each major city is kinda like an island, and the language spoken in that area develops over time and becomes distinctly different from that in their neighbouring cities before the advent of tv and radio. Now mass media and education has brought Mandarin in as the national Chinese spoken common language. The localised speech of each city can be called individual dialects if they are different from neighbouring city dialects.

Dyl.

Aurelio

Postby Aurelio » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:50 pm

Nong ho!

Well, I guess most people on the chineselanguages forum will already know this, but since Luke brought up his guess I feel 'obliged' to give an example:

Ru zoh nong sinni kualoh!

would be

Wo zhu ni xinnian kuaile

in Mandarin. Clearly not just an issue of a few slang words, it's a completely different (though related) language (Wu-language or Wu-dialect).

Regards,
Aurelio

Mark Yong

Postby Mark Yong » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:12 am

This is a nice website on the Shanghai dialect that I found recently:

http://www.zanhe.com

It looks as though the website is only partially complete, with development ending around late-2005. Nonetheless, it has quite a nice repository of information on the dialect.

mavericker

Postby mavericker » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:16 pm

Jimmy Hsu wrote:: Hello,
: Can anyone explain to me what Shanghainese is? I haven't seen anything about this, except on the internet.
: :)Go to the following site for an excellent introduction to Shanghainese:
http://www.earnshaw.com/shanghainese/shanghainese.cfm

Thank you for that link. :D

mavericker

Postby mavericker » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:17 pm

Mark Yong wrote:This is a nice website on the Shanghai dialect that I found recently:

http://www.zanhe.com

It looks as though the website is only partially complete, with development ending around late-2005. Nonetheless, it has quite a nice repository of information on the dialect.

Thank you for that link. How do I do a search on terms at that site?

pradashoesoutlet

Postby pradashoesoutlet » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:27 pm

also have no idea about it.

myhealth

Postby myhealth » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:21 am

Shanghainese or the Shanghai language is a dialect of Wu Chinese spoken in the city of Shanghai and the surrounding region. It is classified as part of the Sino-Tibetan family of languages. Shanghainese, like other Wu dialects, is largely not mutually intelligible with other Chinese varieties such as Mandarin. The term "Shanghainese" in English sometimes refers to all Wu Chinese dialects, though it is only partially intelligible with some other subbranches of the Wu language group.

Return to “Wu language forum”